Silence Is Golden
let all the earth keep silence before him.”
Give it a try.
Did it seem like an eternity? What did you find yourself thinking about? What were you made aware of? Emotions? Things to do? Worries? Now take time, RIGHT NOW, and write down what you experienced in those five minutes.
Did you write it down? Good. Now, spend another five minutes in silence, trusting God with all that was written. But, this time, ask God to tell you what He has for you, and listen in silence. Ask Him to show you an image – a vision – a word – a Scripture. Don’t say anything, just LISTEN. Sounds easy? Give it a try. 5 MINUTES.
(Thanks for doing that – I’d love to know what you heard or saw – feel free to comment below or write me an email or send me a text. Silence really is golden – a treasure.)
- Even a fool who keeps silent is considered wise; when he closes his lips, he is deemed intelligent. (Proverbs 17.28)
- “And when you pray, do not heap up empty phrases as the Gentiles do, for they think that they will be heard for their many words.” (Matthew 6.7)
- Be still, and know that I am God. (Ps 46.10)
- For God alone my soul waits in silence; from him comes my salvation. (Ps 62.1)
- For God alone, O my soul, wait in silence, for my hope is from him. (Ps 62.5)
- When the Lamb opened the seventh seal, there was silence in heaven for about half an hour. (Revelation 8.1)
Listening, waiting, watching for when God will then begin moving, calling us and inviting us to join Him at what He is doing.
I love this challenge to sit for 5 minutes and be still.
Also, I didn't know where to do this, but may you have a very blessed Happy Birthday tomorrow, Friday the 6th. Happy Happy Birthday Bill Williamson
I love my silence and seek it every day always giving thanks and praising God for all He has done. If I don't have this time I feel lost and irritated. I need it for guidance and strength for for each day . I listen outside to the voices of creation as I almost hear the rocks cry out. The breezes, the birds, the rustling or even splatting of rain, the warmth or coolness of the air --all are a song praising God. and I praise God for you Bill and another birthday for you. You are a voice of encouragement and unity for the flock. You are a great blessing and are so very much appreciated. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!