November 10 Update!
Things have gone pretty well at the new Camp Hope homeless shelter getting the new facility ready for winter business! We’ve had a lot of volunteers show up and contribute their time and efforts to get the place ready for occupancy next week. Thank you to everyone who has come to help. We couldn’t be doing it without you!
We will still be cleaning over the weekend, but here are some things we can use at the shelter:
- Microwave Ovens
- Toaster Ovens
- Hot Plates
- Coffee Makers
- Storage cabinets
- Non-perishable foods (it’s better to have a large quantity of a single item, rather than lots of various single items.)
- Paper towels
- Pots and pans
- Microwaveable cooking containers
- Non-breakable cups and dishes
- Food Storage containers
Camp Hope Moves Indoors!
As most of you know, Transform Yakima Together has managed the homeless encampment, Camp Hope, for the last eight months. Grace of Christ has supported the camp by bringing food and donations; and volunteering in various ways. Transform Yakima Together is now making preparations to move the “camp” indoors for the winter season at a new shelter building located at 1702 Englewood Avenue in Yakima. They just recently acquired the building and have a very short time to make it ready for the homeless residents by November 15, or earlier, if possible. It was a large mechanical manufacturing facility. So, there is lots of work to do.
Transform Yakima Together Needs Your Help!
- Construction is going on to build dormitory rooms, as well as some painting.
- There’s lots of cleaning to do. If you have cleaning supplies and “tools” please bring them, especially cleaning rags. Otherwise, Transform Yakima will provide them. There is also some work that needs to be done on ladders.
- There are some handyman repairs & construction projects – got tools?
- Furnishings are also needed: they need tables and chairs, couches, cabinets and desks. They will also take appliances.
- There is also a family area separate from the general adult population, with bedrooms, a separate kitchen and bath area for families. Transform Yakima Together is asking churches or growth groups to adopt a room in this family area and fix it up to accommodate the families. Connect with Andy if you’re interested. (714-745-3753)
- Want to help? The facility will be open, for volunteers or donations, from 10am to 8pm, November 6-11 (Monday thru Saturday)
- Thank you all for all of your support. This is the Body of Christ working together to make His Kingdom known in Yakima.
Learn more about Camp Hope